We hit up Think Thanker and Lib Tech Ripper Jesse Burtner for 8 Tracks and what makes each song rad. You can see the stylings of Burtner in Think Thank’s 2009 release Cool Story.
1. John Vanderslice – “Kookaburra” – Emerald City
I like the use of the words “Fran Japan Tree” and “Terrabyte.”
2. Josh Boots – “No Show Sox” – Possession With Intent
Reminds me of Dre and Pat.
3. Les Savy Fav – “Crawling Can Be Beautiful” – Go Forth
“Who here finds this world distracting? Who here finds this world a bore? Who here thinks we’re all play acting, and that the show’s piss poor. I for one am dazzled, I don’t care if I’m dazzled blind. Wrapped in rapture captured by every little thing I find.”
4. Nada Surf – “See These Bones” – Lucky
It’s one of those hope found in despair sort of songs.
5. No Age – “Every Artist Needs a Tragedy” – Weirdo Rippers
It takes forever to get to the jam, but then when you get there it’s ten times better.
6. Okkervil River – “For Real” – Black Sheep Boy
When I listen to it I can remember every detail of my life at the time the album came out.
7. The Pica Beats – “Poor Old Ra” – Beating Back The Claws of the Cold
This song makes me want to go adventuring.
8. The Pixies – “Tame” – Doolittle
It’s so not tame.